More than you expected
Grant Thornton UK LLP is part of a global network of independent audit, tax and advisory firms, made up of some 58,000 people in over 135 countries. We're a team of independent thinkers who put quality, inclusion and integrity first. All around the world we bring a different experience to our clients. A better experience. One that delivers the expertise they need in a way that goes beyond. Personal, proactive, and agile. That's Grant Thornton.
NEW GROUND WON’T BREAK ITSELF.
In Public Services Advisory, we work on some of the UK's largest and most high-profile infrastructure projects and public policy programmes. At their core these assignments are focused on creating value across the whole of the UK (and internationally) providing interventions that deliver economic and social benefits for current and future generations.
Every day our teams help people in businesses and communities to do what is right and achieve their goals. Our purpose is to make a difference by working hand in hand with our public and private sector clients on significant public sector projects and issues. We are a team that has public service at its heart. The team works both virtually and from six Grant Thornton offices - London, Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester and Leeds. The team is made up of the advisers and consultants in the following sectors and disciplines:
- Net zero
- Real Estate and Assets
- Financial modelling and analytics
Financial modelling and analytics: Financial models, and increasingly data analytics, underpin almost all business decisions and investment decisions. Our team has helped clients deliver infrastructure and improve services across the UK and internationally. We are growing and investing in our team to support clients through this evolving modelling and data landscape, with a clear focus on quality and best practice modelling techniques, such as the FAST modelling standard and recognised data design methodologies such as Star / Snowflake Schemas.
We work with public and private sector clients helping them to make informed decisions with confidence through financial modelling and data analytics support. We build, review and amend models across a diverse range of sectors and clients in Microsoft Excel, as well as platforms such as Alteryx, KNIME, Power BI and Tableau. We work closely with the sector teams to build and review models across sectors such as transport, real estate, healthcare, renewables, energy and regulated industries. We work as part of Grant Thornton’s wider modelling community, sharing knowledge and best practice with other modelling experts.
We’re happy to talk flexible working and consider reduced hours and job shares, we’ll support you to balance your work and life.
A look into the role
As a Manager within our Financial Modelling and Analytics in Public Services Advisory, you will:
- Provide high quality modelling support, in terms of designing, building or reviewing models, for clients
- Develop a broad range of models including integrated financial models, business models, cash flow forecasts, options appraisals, pricing models, acquisition models, risk models etc
- Develop processes to help clients make more effective use of their data, improving efficiency via automation and providing insight through the use of dashboards/analytical methods
- Contribute to the development of Financial Modelling team methodology and market knowledge through involvement in technical and /or sector-based taskforces
- Take responsibility for assigned areas including work reviews and delivering works to time and budget
- Provide advice on financial aspects on projects and programmes within the PSA business
- Supporting the skills development of your colleagues through formal and informal sessions
- Continue to develop your own skills through internal and external training
Knowing you’re right for us
Joining us as a Manager, the minimum criteria you’ll need is to have:
- Logical problem solver with the ability to create and review spread sheet based financial models (using Microsoft Excel). Additionally, expertise in data analytics (including Power BI (Dax/Power Query), Python, SQL, Alteryx, Tableau), is desirable
- Excellent analytical and communication skills and be able to articulate clearly, confidently and professionally to others internally and with clients
- Experience providing advice or analysis to internal or external clients
- Good verbal and written communication
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion
- A clear appetite for self-development demonstrated through the performance review and PDP processes
- Experience in delivering projects as part of a team
It would be great if you had some of the following skills, but don’t worry if you don’t tick every box, we’ll help you develop along the way.
- Good inter-personal skills with the ability to engage with colleagues and clients on specialist subject matter
- Worked within or consulted into the public sector
- Experience of working on relevant infrastructure projects and public policy programmes
- Experience of building and reviewing integrated financial statement based models.
- A professional qualification (e.g. ACA, CIPFA, CIMA, CFA) is desirable
- Self-motivated individual with evidence of innovation and initiative
- Team player and confident in working on a number of projects in parallel
Knowing we’re right for you
Embracing uniqueness, the culture at Grant Thornton thrives on the contributions of all our people, we never settle for what is easy, we look beyond to deliver the right thing, for everyone. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
Our open and accessible culture means you’ll interact with leaders who are interested in you and everything you bring to our firm. The things that set you apart, we value them. That’s why we give you the freedom to bring your whole self to work and pursue your passions inside and outside of work.
Beyond the job
Life is more than work. The things you do, and the people you’re with outside of work matter, that’s why we’re happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we’ll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
The impact you can make here will go far beyond your day job. From secondments, to fundraising for local charities, or investing in entrepreneurs in the developing world, you’ll be giving back to society. It’s that drive to do the right thing that runs through our every move, grounded in our CLEARR values - Collaboration, Leadership, Excellence, Agility, Respect and Responsibility.
We’re looking for people who want to contribute, spark fresh ideas and go beyond expectations. People who want to be able to proudly do what’s right, for the firm, our clients, our people and themselves. It’s how it should be.