At Yorkshire Building Society we pride ourselves on being a mutual organisation that places our customers at the heart of everything we do. As a result of this we continue to grow and strengthen our position as one of the most trusted financial services providers in the UK, providing real help with real live.
An opportunity has arisen for a Modelling Analyst to join the Balance Sheet Strategy and Analytics function. In this role you will support the development, testing and ongoing management of financial planning and pricing models and related data, as well as supporting the use of market and liquidity risk models. This is an exciting time to join the team, as the Society uses a new balance sheet software to embed customer behavioural assumptions within the models, allowing us to understand the value and risk within the balance sheet.
We will give you the opportunity and support to develop and shape a career in a business with huge growth ambitions that is on the cusp of becoming a tier 1 firm. The pace of change and agile management structure delivers a fast-paced environment with many opportunities for career development. This is particularly true in the Balance Sheet Strategy and Analytics function that is at the forefront of the Society’s purposeful analytics strategic aim.
In this role, you will be on a two year progression plan which includes regular salary uplifts where performance targets are met. Join us and be Your Brilliant Self.
What you'll be doing
As a valued member of our modelling team you will support the design, testing and maintenance of balance sheet models which are used for market and liquidity risk monitoring but also product pricing and strategic planning..
The main areas you will be working on will be:
- Supporting the management of the financial planning model suite, ensuring model updates are conducted in a controlled way.
- Providing support for our suite of balance sheet models, and ensuring daily process are well managed with issues identified and addressed appropriately.
- Evaluating and documenting existing models to ensure they meet the Society’s model governance standards.
- Assisting the team with ongoing projects, such as testing and deployment of new models and model updates.
Each of these areas will involve working closely with other teams within the Balance Sheet Strategy and Analytics function but also across the business, so building and nurturing these relationships will be an important aspect of the role.
How You’ll Do It
- Educated to a least degree level preferably in Mathematics / Statistics or Finance, or experience from an analytical role
- Coding experience, particularly with SQL. Python would also be desirable.
- Effective communication, engagement and influencing skills
- Understand, or have a strong desire to learn, the key drivers of a financial institution’s balance sheet, including the risks and how to model these risks
- Knowledge of Excel, SAS, Python and/or VBA
- Knowledge of the principles behind market and liquidity risk, such as VaR and NII
- Knowledge of financial model methods and techniques, such as time value of money
- Experience of delivery and support of financial models.
At YBS we don’t have shareholders, we have members. We care about people and that includes you. So here, you’ll be respected for who you are, you’ll be able to bring your whole self to work, and you’ll have everything you need to build a long and rewarding career.
Flexibility. We offer a range of flexible working options without unsocial hours, which can help you find a healthy work-life balance. Whether it’s finishing early for an appointment or fitting your studies and hobbies in around your working hours, we can help make it work for you.
Development. We want you to feel challenged here. Whatever your ambitions, we’re committed to helping you develop your skills and move ahead in your career journey. From day one, we’ll set you up for success with a brilliant induction and full training plan, all designed to get you up to speed quickly.
Inclusivity. We’re passionate about creating an inclusive environment where everyone is welcome and able to be themselves. If you’ll go the extra mile to help our members, you’ll fit right in and feel you belong here.
About our Benefits
We offer lots of fantastic rewards that you can make the most of in and out of work, including:
- Holiday. You’ll get 25 days plus Bank Holidays, as well as the option to buy up to a further 5 days.
- Bonus. We work together to reach for better at YBS, so when we reach our goals we’re all rewarded, with up to a 10% annual bonus.
- Pension. We know how important it is to save towards the future, that’s why we’ll contribute up 11% into your YBS pension.
- Healthcare. Health and wellbeing are an important part of life at YBS, when you join us you’ll have access to a range of health benefits to suit your life including private medical insurance, dental and healthcare plans.
- My Benefits. When you join YBS you’ll have access to our self-service benefits portal, where you can access a range of retail, hospitality and health discounts,
Ready to apply?
If you’re excited about this role and want to be part of the YBS team, click Apply now to send us your application.