Senior Data Engineer (Reporting)
At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
HMRC has one of the UK's largest IT estates ranging from innovative data analytics platforms to complex legacy systems. We are undergoing a major transformation programme, which includes a major investment in digitisation. HMRC's IT Division, known as the Chief Digital Information Officer Group (CDIO), has many delivery groups addressing parts of our digital transformation agenda; this vacancy sits within Data Platform Services (DPS).
DPS was set up 4 years ago as a result of our desire to take control of building and running our critical data capabilities, doubling in size to 600 people in the last 18 months, we're targeting further growth driven by increased demand for our services.
We are recruiting for two Senior Data Engineers to work within our Reporting and Dashboarding team with each role acting as a subject matter expert and lead for one of our strategic reporting products.
- One role will focus on embedding Power BI Premium as a new strategic reporting and dashboarding tool for Data Platform Services and the wider HMRC community.
- One role will focus on supporting and improving services developed using Pentaho Business Analytics as a strategic reporting and dashboarding tool for Data Platform Services and the wider HMRC community.
Both roles will support colleagues and third-party suppliers designing, building and running industry leading data services on behalf of the department, engaging not only across DPS but also more widely across HMRC.
As part of the Engineering team, you will have a part to play in the running, maintenance and evolution of the strategic Reporting & Analytics products, platforms and services.
- Support agile project delivery. Providing technical support and guidance to others.
- Investigate and lead in the resolution of technical issues.
- Design, build and coordinate key components of our analytics platforms, including monitoring, alerting and capacity management.
- Support a range of data exploitation tools.
- Implement preventative and corrective maintenance activities on platforms, tools, and data flows.
- Provide batch monitoring and support for complex critical 24x7 services.
- Use a wide range of collaboration and working aid tools such as Teams, Confluence and JIRA.
You will have solid knowledge and experience in the following skill area:
Data exploitation tools, particularly Microsoft Power BI or Pentaho BA but also some or all of the following:
- SAP Business Objects.
- Crystal Reports and Web Intelligence.
- Red Hat BRMS.
Supporting Knowledge and Experience in two of the following areas:
- Solid experience managing and supporting data analytics platforms, tools, ingestion and transformation solutions.
- Scheduling, running, monitoring, and fixing data flows both batch and real time.
- Knowledge of security approaches and tools, e.g. encryption, tokenisation, masking.
- Agile and Continuous Integration environments.
- Configuration management approaches and practices.
- Using source control technologies such as GIT.
- Cloud services: AWS or Azure.
- Certification in AWS.
- Certification in Azure.
- Certification in SAP Business Objects.
- You may be asked to manage several internal staff and/or contractors.
- This role may require the successful candidate to provide support outside of normal working hours and take part in On Call rotas.
- Limited travel may also be required.
- Learning and development tailored to your role.
- An environment with flexible working options.
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity.
- A Civil Service pension.
Team members that are moving offices as a result of the Locations Programme will be entitled to a Moves Adjustment Payment for three years where they incur additional costs. This is calculated based on the difference between the costs of travelling to and from the new and old office, over a weekly period. You will get more detail on this as part of targeted locations move communications.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Monday 8th August 2022