Financial Data Analyst
At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us. We offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career for you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from people of all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
Borders & Trade (B&T) Group designs, develops and maintains the infrastructure that supports our borders and facilitates trade between the UK and the rest of the world.
Are you interested in taking the next step in your finance career with an employer who offers a structured personal development, progression opportunities and one who cares about your work-life balance? Well look no further!
We perform a vital role at the heart of group finance operations, providing a financial service across:
- Financial analysis
- Financial and Workforce management, reporting and control
The important work we do feeds in to the group level Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and partners in the wider finance community of our large department (over 66,000 employees). We work as part of a broader finance function that includes the Finance Business Partner teams that sit in each directorate in the Group.
Upon joining our welcoming and friendly team as a Finance Data Analyst you will report to the senior manager for Planning, Data and Workforce.
Some of the key responsibilities in this role include:
- Supporting the Data Lead in developing, implementing and maintaining data hubs
- Being a key member in developing data dashboards, graphs and visualisations
- Update the monthly financial and workforce dashboards, and support the reporting process
- Identify areas to increase efficiency and automate processes
- Monitor and audit data quality
- Analyse and interpret complex data sets, and prepare reports on a regular and ad hoc basis
- Support the provision of in-year financial reporting to the FD, SLT and external teams by requesting and collating information from FBP colleagues, fulfilling requirements within tight timescales
- Analyse business information to identify trends, risks and issues, and support the creation of informative management information packs
- Collaborate with key stakeholders and Corporate Finance to ensure mutual understanding of B&T's financial position
- Excellent IT skills: the advanced use of Excel and Power Query to analyse and work with large data sets
- A good understanding of financial practices and processes
- Effective communication skills: the ability to communicate insightful information; have the confidence and ability to engage with senior leaders in a considered and professional manner.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Making Effective Decisions
- Delivering at Pace
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
Team members that are moving offices as a result of the Locations Programme will be entitled to a Moves Adjustment Payment for three years where they incur additional costs. This is calculated based on the difference between the costs of travelling to and from the new and old office, over a weekly period. You will get more detail on this as part of targeted locations move communications.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Friday 1st July 2022