Lead Performance Analyst
At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
This is an exciting time to join an Organisation that probably doesn't work how you'd envision a government Organisation would!
HMRC is one of the largest organisations in the UK and we run the biggest digital operation in Government, with our 50 million customers at the heart of everything we do the scope and impact of our work is limitless. We're not afraid to try new technologies and new ways of working.
We are establishing a team of outstanding and creative people who will work with us in Enterprise Platform Services (EPS) - Digital Delivery Centres to run new digital services, using modern technology and agile development methods, as well as transforming existing digital services. As a lead Performance Analyst we have two critical roles within our Build operation and our Live service operation to enable delivery of HMRC's strategic aspirations.
HMRC recognises the benefits of smarter ways of working and are committed to supporting as many colleagues as possible to work from home where this works for their personal circumstances and the role they do. Where the role is suitable, individuals will have the opportunity to work from home for 2 days per week, or more where the business agrees.
You will lead a team of performance analysts in HMRC covering a specific portfolio of work. You will be an ambassador for analytics, ensuring the work of the team is visible to colleagues and stakeholders, supporting members of the team to enable HMRC to build world class services using user-centred design based on evidence from data and analytics that help us understand our customers and their needs.
You will be an expert in performance analytics with experience gained in an agile, digital operating environment, you will be responsible for leading your team to gather robust data and producing accurate, quality assured analysis to provide evidence to confirm or challenge assumptions that help HMRC build service that make it easy to get tax right.
You will be proficient in a range of analytical tools and languages required for performance analytics, including Google Analytics, Google Tag Manger, Data Studio, Excel/Google Sheets, Splunk, SQL and PowerBI, with awareness of wider analytical tools such as R and Python. You will ensure best practice in the areas of data visualisation and data / analysis accessibility is put into practice.
You will work to established standards, to produce high quality analytics and insights in a timely manner, giving performance analysts in your team the flexibility to adapt to their scrum team's requirements.
You will be an active part of the performance analyst community, implementing new ways of working and adopting common professional approaches to ensure responsiveness to business needs and to maximise the value and effectiveness of the performance analyst function.
Responsibilities, you will be expected to:
- Remove blockers and act as an escalation point for important issues.
- Be responsible for the accuracy and quality of data, analysis and how they are used, ensuring the relevant qualitative and quantitative data sources are used.
- Proactively share knowledge and promote a data-driven culture as a leader in the community, ensuring code is documented and available, and that outputs are shared across the analytical community.
- Manage, coach and mentor senior performance analysts, performance analysts and associate performance analysts.
- Manage analytical resource across your portfolio to prioritise work, and provide cover. Encourage innovation in analytical tools and techniques.
- Work with project teams to procure, implement and validate appropriate analytics tools against identified performance measurement frameworks.
- Collaborate with other digital and analytical professions, especially user researchers, to provide collective insights and provide challenge from a digital perspective where needed.
- Ensure the right data is being used at the right time, as part of user-centred design, to enable services to prioritise and build based on evidence.
Person specification, you will be able to demonstrate the following essential criteria (applicable for both roles):
- Communicating analysis and insight. Able to use the most appropriate medium to visualise data. You can present, communicate, and disseminate analysis and recommendations effectively, appropriately and with high impact.
- Technical understanding (performance analyst). Awareness of current industry trends including emerging tools and technologies .
- Understanding constraints (performance analyst). Understand and can work within given constraints Comfortable challenging constraints that can be changed. Able to adapt products and services where needed focussing on data security and privacy concepts including data protection.
- User-centred analysis. Can demonstrate who users are and understand the importance of analysis to user-centred design. Collaborate with professions that are focused on user-centred design, bringing together data from varying sources to ensure that all members of agile delivery teams have access to actionable insights.
Essential Criteria specific to Build role
Understanding analysis across the product life cycle. Understand the different phases of product delivery and plan and run the analysis for these. Contribute to decision-making throughout the product life cycle. Work in collaboration with the agile team. Understand the value of analysis, how to contribute with impact, and what data sources, analytical techniques and tools can be used at each point throughout the product life cycle.
Essential Criteria Specific to Live role
Managing analytics in a live setting. You have experience of performance measurement and analytics in a live environment, demonstrating the ability to balance priorities on multiple services and working to provide innovative solutions for specific business requirements.
This role may require the successful candidate to provide support outside of normal working hours.
Occasional travel with overnight stays within the UK may be required.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
Team members that are moving offices as a result of the Locations Programme will be entitled to a Moves Adjustment Payment for three years where they incur additional costs. This is calculated based on the difference between the costs of travelling to and from the new and old office, over a weekly period. You will get more detail on this as part of targeted locations move communications.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Thursday 30th June 2022