Data Protection Assurance and Compliance - Support Officer
At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
The Office of the Data Protection Officer (ODPO), is an independent office created in response to the implementation for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018, with a role to:
- Inform and advise the organisation and its employees on their obligations under GDPR.
- Supervise compliance with GDPR and other data protection laws.
- Help to raise awareness of data protection risks and requirements; and
- Be the first point of contact for supervisory authorities and members of the public and departmental staff.
The GDPR Assurance and Compliance Team, are a small but lively and high-profile team, who are working strategically with HMRC to achieve improved GDPR compliance through a targeted programme of independent assurance activities and audits.
Much of our work to date has been focussed on the assurance of Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIA) but we are now looking to extend our audit reach into other areas of HMRC.
It is a unique role that will provide insight into the strategic operation of HMRC and provide you with an excellent development opportunity to gain experience in an independent assurance and compliance role.
You will be supporting the work of this high-profile team by conducting a wide range of audit tasks, such as the analysis of data sets, targeted testing, research, and report writing.
Following training, you will have regular contact with a variety of partners at all levels across HMRC, and own the continuous compliance monitoring of DPIAs through a rolling programme of periodic checks.
In addition, we will encourage you to develop your own ideas and take the lead on these and run your own portfolio of risk-based audits, or data protection compliance activities.
You will work closely with ODPO Senior Assurance Leaders in the production of performance reports and presentations, as well as maintaining team hubs and progress trackers. This will allow you to gain insight into the process of planning, performance, and reporting.
We will also provide the opportunity to acquire professional qualifications and develop via continuous learning.
Self- motivated, professional and with good interpersonal skills, you will be comfortable working in a flexible environment and be willing to adapt to change.
Team oriented and analytical, you will be confident of suggesting and introducing more efficient ways of working within the team
- Building and managing relationships with key partners
- Provide support to the rest of the wider team.
- Work at pace and closely with others to assist the team in meeting high standards in its responsibilities
- Undertake assurance checks on DPIA, draft outcome reports and collaborate with partners to agree action points and timescales
- Effectively handle, respond, and prioritise the assurance team mailbox
- Attend meetings and calls as appropriate taking notes and ensuring action points are cleared on time
- Undertake research - data gathering and collation of information from databases
- Leading and maintaining the team performance HUB producing regular reports for SLT
- Provide support with project work when required
- Maintain and update team business recovery plans, asset registers, contact lists etc
You will already have experience of
- Using multiple sources to capture, collate and present information
- Working in a compliance background and/or supporting compliance auditors.
- Delivering outcomes with strong attention to detail.
- Displaying good interpersonal skills and a commitment to network with business colleagues.
- Delivering work within specified timeframes
- Ability to quickly analyse information and make robust judgements and recommendations.
- Case management
- An understanding or curiosity about data protection legislation
- Good IT skills and proficiency in using Microsoft Office and O365 tools
- Experience of working on sophisticated assurance activity
- Supporting senior leaders
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
Team members that are moving offices as a result of the Locations Programme will be entitled to a Moves Adjustment Payment for three years where they incur additional costs. This is calculated based on the difference between the costs of travelling to and from the new and old office, over a weekly period. You will get more detail on this as part of targeted locations move communications.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Tuesday 1st February 2022
More searches like this
- Assurance Public Sector £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Compliance Public Sector £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Compliance & Regulation Public Sector £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Analytics Public Sector £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Data Analytics Public Sector £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in United Kingdom