Data Analytics Team Head Data Analyst
Locations: Bootle (moving to Liverpool), Croydon, Salford (moving to Manchester), Newcastle, Stratford
Salary: National £64,052 - £72,202, London £70,603 - £79,588
At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
At HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) we make sure money is available to fund the UK's vital public services and assist people with targeted financial support.
The Risk & Intelligence Service (RIS) is the heart of HMRC's compliance activity and drives both data and intelligence-driven identification of non-compliance. Your role will be in a team that use data to deepen our understanding of how to ensure the right tax is paid, working with some of the most complex and comprehensive data-sets in the country.
The Data Analytics Team (DAT) forms part of the Analysis function within RIS and provides analytical expertise to policy and compliance partners across multiple business areas. We interrogate complex data to first understand it, and then to provide insight on compliance risks and shape new compliance capability.
DAT aims to help Customer Compliance Group (CCG) deliver sustained compliance in the most efficient and effective way. DAT does that by providing data-driven insight to decision makers at all levels, and by innovating to provide new ways to identify, understand and intervene to treat compliance risk.
Working alongside Software Engineering team (SET) and Bulk Data Exploitation Capability (BDEC), DAT is a collaborative and friendly team with shared core values as an inclusive workplace.
As Head Data Analyst in RIS, you will be expected to hold a varied portfolio of projects and tasks that will cover the following areas:
- Analytical Leadership The successful candidate will act as an analytical leader in RIS DAT, wider RIS and HMRC developing our capability, mentoring and inspire analysts at all grades and development levels. Sharing analytical approaches as we deploy new tools.
- Technology and Approaches You will act as a key subject matter expert in the development of our future analytical capability, feeding to wider conversations in RIS and with our technology delivery partners, identifying opportunities to use new solutions and data while maximising the use of existing solutions.
- Specialist Data Insight You will provide a strategic data insight to our customers at a range of levels, exploring new ways of working and delivering deep understanding of our data populations. You will work across HMRC to deliver clear, quantifiable outcomes through data exploitation, and will continue to be a practical user of analytical methods.
- Deployment of future analytical capability You will have a deep understanding of a range of techniques across data analytics and follow closely developments in approaches in the field. Understanding the potential of applying new techniques in HMRC to deliver compliance outcomes and the importance of using agile methodologies in our work.
- Championing data driven insight The successful candidate will be confident in articulating and presenting a vision of future analytical delivery, both to technical users and senior leaders. You will develop strong stakeholder relationships within RIS and across HMRC in understanding user needs for delivery and working to agile principles.
You will line manage a team of technical Grade 7 analysts in delivering DAT's analytical capabilities, while working widely across the business.
The Head Data Analyst role is peer managed by the Grade 6 Head of DAT and Security, Systems and Applications (SSA) team, and will work collaboratively with the Head and wider DAT and SSA SLT in delivery of HMRC's strategic priorities.
You will play a key role in developing capability and integrity in DAT and the RIS Data Analyst Community, embedding ethics at the heart of all our work. An innovative mind-set is vital. We are looking for individuals who can challenge and question methods of delivery and provide a different perspective.
- Line management of principal analysts within DAT, managing a team of grade 7 technical leads
- Proactive identification of new opportunities for development of analytical insight through the use of analytical, statistical and advanced modelling techniques
- Providing analytical leadership to the DAT community and wider
- Act as a senior analytical stakeholder for RIS Analysis, providing technical insight in the range of transformation projects in RIS and wider HMRC
- Ensuring we continue to develop in the Data Science capability, bring an iterative and user focussed offering to our customers
- Building capability and working with analysts to identify key areas for development.
Skills and Qualifications Required:
- Extensive level of experience and technical ability in the area of Data Analytics and/or Data Science, with a proven track record of delivering organisational level impact through data insight
- Experienced in leadership of data analytics projects and teams, with a proven history of using data insights to deliver outcomes and change at strategic levels
- Be expert in presenting your insights to both technical and senior leaders, and able to demonstrate
- Experience in a developing capability in statistical programming languages such as SAS, SQL, R or the Python Data Science libraries.
- Member of one of the Analytical Professions (such as DDaT, GES, GSR or GORS) or Statistical Community (such as GSS, GSG)
- Experience of delivering through Agile project management or related processes in waterfall projected delivery.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Delivery of effective solutions to large-scale business problems enabled through the work.
- Learning and development tailored to your role.
- An environment with flexible working options.
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity.
- A Civil Service pension with a highly competitive contributory scheme.
- 25 days annual leave in your first year, which will increase by one day for each year's qualifying service up to a maximum of 30 days.
- Additional one days paid leave commemorating the Queen's Birthday.
- Generous paid maternity / paternity leave (notably higher than the statutory minimum).
- Tax-Free Childcare (TFC) scheme.
- Interest-free loans allowing you to spread the cost of an annual travel season ticket or a new bicycle.
Team members that are moving offices as a result of the Locations Programme will be entitled to a Moves Adjustment Payment for three years where they incur additional costs. This is calculated based on the difference between the costs of travelling to and from the new and old office, over a weekly period. You will get more detail on this as part of targeted locations move communications.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Tuesday 25th January 2022