Senior Enterprise Architect - Data
At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
HMRC is building a modern, digital tax administration and runs the biggest digital operation in Government, providing digital services for 45 million individuals and 4.9 million business customers. Our digital programme is multi-award winning and the envy of other government organisations.
HMRC's Enterprise Data Architecture team are responsible for setting the data architecture strategy roadmaps, reference architectures and developing the Enterprise Data Model as well as helping to govern against these directions. We are is also responsible for solution architecture design consultancy across HMRC.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Enterprise Data Architecture team and work across the organisation at a strategic level to drive the development of the Enterprise Data Model and data modelling capability of the HMRC.
You will support the documentation of the organisations data assets, to aid understanding, to allow more effective integration of data, whilst diminishing legacy data silos, enabling HMRC's hugely complex IT estate towards a smaller set of strategic systems.
You will support and contribute to solution designs both as a subject matter expert and from a strategic point of view. You will lead on the governance of data models produced by solution and delivery teams against the Enterprise Data Model.
You will play a key role in ensuring that HMRC develops and maintains a strong Data Modelling and Data Architecture capability.
You will be responsible for:
- Defining a data modelling strategy roadmaps and enterprise data model, aligning them with business strategies and requirements and obtaining senior stakeholder buy in for 'as-is', 'to-be and transitional states.
- The governing of enterprise data models and ensuring compliance with it.
You will need to demonstrate within your application the following essential criteria:
- Ability to guide the organisation to make the correct data decisions, promoting reuse and standardisation to achieve value for money.
- Significant experience of Data Modelling for operational and analytical systems, including conceptual models through to physical schema deployments.
- Experience in developing and governing Data Principles, Policies, Standards, Processes and Procedures.
- The ability to simplify complex and technical information by using appropriate and accessible language for non-technical audiences
- An understanding of how all parts of the business model work together including processes, data models and operating models and IT
- Capable of guiding the decision-making process, explaining trade-offs, and making a recommendation based on all the available information
- The ability to look beyond the immediate problem and identify the wider implications across the enterprise
The following skills and experience are desirable:
- Experience with an Enterprise Data Catalogue and Business Glossary
- Master Data Management, Data Quality and Data Governance
- Experience of developing data architecture capabilities for operational and analytical systems. Understanding of the data lifecycle and implications for GDPR
- Either have or work to achieve professional IT qualifications such as TOGAF or CITP
- Experience of modelling using ArchiMate and BPMN notations
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application or interview process.
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
Team members that are moving offices as a result of the Locations Programme will be entitled to a Moves Adjustment Payment for three years where they incur additional costs. This is calculated based on the difference between the costs of travelling to and from the new and old office, over a weekly period. You will get more detail on this as part of targeted locations move communications.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Tuesday 18th January 2022