Strategic Finance Analyst
Apply before 11:55 pm on Saturday 31st July 2021
Role based out of London Westminster 2-3 days a week.
At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
The Strategic Finance team fulfils a vital role at the heart of HMRC. We are part of the Corporate Finance Directorate, which works right across HMRC, HM Treasury and with other Government departments, to support delivery of our strategic objectives. We are responsible for ensuring that HMRC plans and manages its financial budgets and performance, makes good decisions and is held to account on accurate performance data, both financial and non-financial.
The Strategic Finance team has 3 key portfolios and teams:
- In Year financial management – We lead the in-year monthly forecasting and reporting process for the department, ensuring that HMRC lives within its financial budgets set by HM Treasury.
- Business Planning - We partner business group finance teams to build, agree and maintain departmental financial plans for the next 5 years and liaise with HMT to ensure we secure the funding required for those plans.
- Fiscal Events, Efficiencies and HMT Controls – We analyse and report HMRCs in-year and future year’s sustainable efficiencies targets; cost and report on a wide range of Fiscal Event measures; advise our business groups on how to work within the parameters of HMT control totals or Cabinet Office spending controls; and support the drafting Accounting Officer advice, to ensure our Accounting Officer is able to justify and defend their use of public funds to Parliament and the Public.
These are exciting and high-profile roles in a unique area of central government in exceptional times. We have up to 8 roles within Strategic Finance across all three teams. Each of these roles offer a variety and breadth of responsibilities and are key finance roles within the department.
Depending on the team that you join, will include:
- Produce the monthly management accounts for the department, ensuring that an accurate financial position is reported;
- Provide support and challenge to HMRC finance teams on their financial forecasts, help them understand the wider departmental position and work to ensure the department lives within its allocated budget;
- Support the Main and Supplementary Estimates, the process by which departments secure additional funding from HM Treasury and finalise their in-year budgets, by engaging with Planning, Finance teams and HM Treasury to help ensure that we provide all data and documents within externally set deadlines;
- Assist in delivering detailed resourcing plans for each of the next five years of HMRC's future spend, ensuring financial, workforce and performance plans are integrated and aligned with our strategy;
- Assist the departmental planning process in the lead up to annual planning rounds and Spending Reviews and working closely with stakeholders to ensure that any changes to the plan are appropriately incorporated into relevant years, with robust change control and approval from ExCom;
- Support the effective development, management, analysis, and reporting of HMRCs in-year and future year’s sustainable efficiencies targets;
- Assist with the reporting of Fiscal Event measures, ensuring costs are realistic and proportionate, and that capacity and workforce impacts are captured in that analysis;
- Provide advice on how to work within the parameters of HM Treasury and Cabinet Office control totals and ensure that expenditure is made in line with Managing Public Money principles, adheres to the Consolidated Budgeting Guidance, and virements align to the Estimates Manual;
- Support the drafting of Accounting Officer advice, to ensure our Accounting Officer is able to justify and defend their use of public funds to Parliament and the Public;
- Analyse financial information to understand trends, highlighting issues and drawing on insight from cross Departmental information to generate departmental strategies;
- Communicate complex financial information to both finance and non-finance partners through both regular management reporting, and short notice ad-hoc briefing;
- Build strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders both within HMRC and in Other Government Departments to build trust and ensure that any issues/challenges are managed constructively; and
- Support the wider transformation of financial management across the department.
- Full or Part Qualified with a CCAB institute or CIMA, or if unqualified, a commitment to studying towards an Accountancy Qualification is essential.
- Previous experience in a finance role;
- Excellent analytical and financial skills, and competent at using Excel;
- Strong drafting skills with the ability to summarise complex information in a coherent narrative tailored to the audience;
- Communication skills - written and oral (as we often need to explain a complex story and be able to provide well-reasoned, professional advice for internal and external audiences) with the professional look;
- Demonstrate strategic thinking and an understanding of the wider picture when considering options; and
- Excellent stakeholder management and interpersonal skills, and the ability to develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders at all levels
- Have an appreciation of the wider government spending position, ministerial priorities and the overall UK economic outlook.
- Full or Part Qualified with a CCAB institute or CIMA accountancy qualification, or if unqualified, a commitment to studying towards an Accountancy Qualification.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:-
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
Please follow through the link to the application to learn how to apply.
More searches like this
- Advisory Public Sector £40,000 - £49,999 jobs in London (Central)
- Other Public Sector £40,000 - £49,999 jobs in London (Central)
- Audit Assistant Public Sector £40,000 - £49,999 jobs in London (Central)
- Analytics Public Sector £40,000 - £49,999 jobs in London (Central)
- Business Intelligence Public Sector £40,000 - £49,999 jobs in London (Central)